Hummer Foto Feeder™

Hummer Foto Feederâ„¢
All Products are Here

2010-01-08

News of Hummers Currently in Portland Oregon

In the most recent Hummer News I asked if folks still have hummers where they are. Here is an email exchange I very much enjoyed with Laura from Portland, OR over the past several days...

Laura: I live in Portland Oregon and I still have hummers


jam: Thank you! Our family in Sheridan, OR says theirs are gone, but others in the state report winter visits like you.

L: Mine aren't visiting - they are camped out and defending their feeders!!! Still here from the summer...just never left. Must have been the feeders that kept them here...they even weathered 18 degree weather. I noticed more hummers camped out around a feeder down the street. Poor little guys. I should have stopped feeding them around Sept to give them a chance to leave. I just didn't know any better. Do you think that is a good plan for next year?

j: You mean there is nectar in the tubes, but they aren't eating any? That would be a new situation for me. I honestly don't believe that the birds will behave other than they should just because there is food available. I know they are feeding regularly in Roseburg, OR. I am also going to see if I can find some research on hummer behavior in marginal climate zones, where they may or may not migrate, and see if I can find anything because it is quite interesting to me too. If it was me and the nectar doesn't freeze, I'd keep them full...if the nectar goes down, you'll know someone is getting a little.

L: I have to fill my feeders about every 3 days and when they start to freeze I attach a “hot hands” to them to keep them from freezing. Two small feeders are attached to windows with suction cups and they don't seem to freeze as easy. The first time the feeder froze I saw the little hummer trying to peck through the ice so I brought it the feeder nuked it and put it back out. (poor little guy) Later I thought of the hot hands (after having to thaw every 3 hours you tend want a different solution). Don't use feeders with metal perches my daughter did the first time and the little hummers feet stuck to the metal and she had to spray warm water on the perch to thaw the ice. The hummer was quite panicky needless to say.

I see the hummer at my window feeder throughout the day. I have it attached where I do dishes, on my kitchen window, and I swear he comes by when he sees me there. I've become quite attached I must admit. One of God's many blessings!!!

j: What an interesting story!! - I believe you are already doing exactly what you need to do...it is wonderful that you take such extra steps to help out our tiny friends, who definitely seem to be feeding, even now at your home. I think other people would be very interested in your story as well. Would you mind if I summarize your emails and post them on the blog, using only your first name and OR as identifiers of the locale and person. I know I enjoyed reading about your efforts. Also, I am still hoping to find some infor on the marginal seasons based on our conversations. let me know if it is OK to tell your story on our blog?

L: Be my guest. I love these little guys - anything to help. I actually bought a heated perch and am going to try it out in a large plastic box with a small feeder suctioned to the top of it to maybe help get them out of the rain and cold...maybe I'll place some sliced oranges at the bottom to attract fruit flies for them too. They will still have their freedom but some help too. I'll let you know how it goes

j: Thanks Laura!! You have just officially become a contributor to the blog...

2 comments:

  1. I also live in Massachusetts. We have a feeder on our window. I really enjoy watching them. I spend my Sunday mornings watching them. We have had the blessing of two different hummingbirds. One is the ruby-throated and the other I don't know what it is. It is silver colored with white and smaller than the ruby throated. His head is smaller also. A really tiny bird compared to the ruby-throated. We call him "Silver Streak". He has been coming for 3 years now. I thought it was the Allen hummingbird but by your pictures it might not be. Do you know what it might be? It is the cutest bird. I think it's wonderful you like the hummers. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very interesting to hear about your little visitors. I think it is most likely your smaller one is a young bird with immature colors. They often have to move fast to stay out of the way of adult males who chase everyone away when they can. The motion of their flight is such a big part of the joy of hummingbirds - so I really like the name "silver streak" because they look like a soft blurry streak when they are moving longer distances. Thank you for your comment and best of luck with your hummers!

    ReplyDelete