Hummer Foto Feeder™

Hummer Foto Feeder™
All Products are Here

2010-05-28

Hummer News – Vol. 9 – May 2010 – Footnotes

Misters – Just “Blissing” the Day Away

I want to share some recent long and satisfying visits by my local hummers to the mister I run daily with just the first hint of mist and lots of drips. I have used misters for quite a while, after learning how much so many bird species enjoy the water feature. Around here, in addition to hummers, cardinals, goldfinches, chickadees, catbirds and downy woodpeckers are frequent and lengthy visitors. But, just about all species visit from time to time. I have it placed in a leafy bush with the drops from the leaves falling into a birdbath. Lately very hot days have increased the attraction of this cool and refreshing corner of the yard.


The only way I can describe the behavior of the mister patrons is completely “blissing out” in an absolutely “care-less” way. That is exactly what the male and female hummers have been doing. In visits of 5-10 minutes at a time, a very long visit here, they hover in the light mist, rub their bills, faces and bodies across wet leaves – pausing to sip drops of water off the tips of leaves. They perch, in the mist, to stretch and preen their legs and wings without regard to anything going on around them. With the late afternoon sun filtering through the mist and sparkling leaves, the scene is genuinely magical, deeply peaceful and centering to see. I honestly believe that there is no product of any kind more attractive to birds than a simple mister and the miniscule amount of water used at the barely misting low level I set it at. If you haven’t tried, especially in the warmer states, I strongly recommend it. If you have experience with misters, I’d love to hear your story, or better yet, read it at the blog.


Milestone for Merrcomm


It is truly humbling to have been so well received in the first 18 months, after creating the Hummer Foto Feeder™ and offering it on eBay, that I can report my 500th sale. Not large at all by eBay standards of course, but not so bad for a guy making feeders in his back yard to attract the birds we all love. Those sales have been in 47 states and 3 foreign countries. But, I have to say, those three states have been hold outs for a while now and it would be so nice to be in every state. So, if you have friends, family or colleagues in ID, WV or WY, who are interested hummingbirds, maybe you can pass the word and help me close the state gap. I sure would appreciate it.


Copyright 2010, Merritt Communications, Inc. – All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment