Hummer Foto Feeder™

Hummer Foto Feederâ„¢
All Products are Here

2011-05-17

Hummer News - Vol. 15 - May 2011

At last!!!

After a longer wait than most springs, I finally eyeballed my first hummer visitor of 2011, here in New England. I am reasonably sure it was a male that has been coming for at least three years now. Unlike many other males, this fellow is extremely furtive and makes all of his visits at dawn and dusk, when the level of light is very low. Further evidence of it being this particular male is the feeder he chose. It is a very early proto-type of my Foto-Feeder™ that has been in the same exact spot for quite a few years now. Very likely there are others about and that the first visits were probably as much as a week earlier, since nectar in two or three of my feeder tubes, at a few locations, already seemed to be reducing by very small amounts.

After so many years, the first hummer visit witnessed is still such a special moment. In spite of our dismal wet and cold spring so far, the warmth of a season, as yet unrealized seems closer and more promising now. This year, after winter travel in warm climes full of hummers, seeing my first “home bird” bridges my first ever 12 month cycle being able to view hummers live. I have always envied those of you who always have a year round presence. Since they are here now, I expect just about all of you have had your first visits now. I wish everyone a great spring and summer with lots of visits and maybe a nesting family. That is something I would really like to experience live.

I hope you will share how the hummer sightings are, currently, in your region.

Spring cleaning

While most of you are already finished with this step by now, it is a good idea to do a thorough cleaning of nectar tubes and caps. I use a 10% bleach solution to nicely sanitize all my tubes before setting out.

I welcome you all to share any hummer sightings or stories that we all might enjoy here at the blog. Just drop an email note and I will send an invitation to become a contributor

Happy Hummers and a Great Late Springtime!

Copyright 2011, Merritt Communications – All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY after a horrific winter here in Connecticut, I get my first real look April 30th of a MALE hummer! As the sun was setting my first hummer was at feeder and did the happy dance in the air and the sun hit the ruby throat on target. My heart jumped for joy. Since then it has been pouring here, so no time to really sit outside and stare like I do looking for them. I have started to see a few females (with umbrellas lol) but I am so happy they are back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it has been ridiculously wet this spring!!

    ReplyDelete