Hummer Foto Feeder™

Hummer Foto Feederâ„¢
All Products are Here

2011-05-24

Spring is here! (At least the birds think so!)

Yep, Spring is officially here - although here in Washington State, we're all wondering about that! The birds, however, have embraced the time of year with their courting & nesting activities. I've actually got a pair of chickadees nesting in one of my bird houses! The first time in years one of my birdhouses has been "rented".
We've also been visited by the cute hummers. The first one showed up about a month ago, then disappeared again. Now, we've got a pair of them coming by fairly regularly. The funny thing is they seem to prefer my mother's old feeder. (It's about 15 years old, by now!) This is one of the ones that is designed like a hot-air balloon. I've got some newer ones, along with the small tubes, but they seem to be all but ignored.
Another thing I noticed, is one of the frequent feeders at Mom's feeder is a Purple Finch! I must say, it looks a bit odd, seeing that large bird (compared to a hummer) sitting and drinking from the hummer feeder!
About the tube feeders, I keep experimenting to see what will actually attract the hummers to them, but so far, haven't had any success. I'm going to try to attach one to one of our bushes to see if that'll work. Then maybe the hummer will come drink from the one I've got suction-cupped to our kitchen window!
Time will tell.
Well, folks, enjoy all the wonderful birds that Spring brings, especially those gorgeous Hummers!
~Rob~

1 comment:

  1. sorry I've been away from the blog due to some minor medical issues I need to deal with. But, hummers will always use feeders more familiar first. But, I would try three things before giving up on the window tubes, as they work extremely well for quite a few Pacific NW customers currently.

    1. attach a good sized piece of saturated red ribbon to the feeder that is visible from the air - I use fabric type Christmas wreath ribbons

    2 put your window feeder on a window that is near flowers or shrubs the hummers already visit if possible - once hummers find it, you can move it later as they will recognize the tube elsewhere then.

    3. in your case, use a shepherd's hook to put an old popular feeder as near as you can to the window feeder until some curious hummer figures it out

    Once they find the tubes for any reason, the biggest problem should be keeping them full.

    But, Merrcom offers a full money back guarantee, including all shipping, any time you are not satisfied - there is no time limit. I hope it doesn't come to that and will be very surprised if it did. Best wishes!

    cheers, jam

    ReplyDelete